X close menu
In-Home Services

Do you assist someone who is ageing with the activities of daily living?  Carers ACT can arrange for services in your home to allow you to take a short break.

Flexible Respite is funded by the Australian Government Department of Health through the My Aged Care Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP).

Carers ACT is an approved provider to deliver this service to carers of people aged 65 years or older (or 50 years or older if Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander) residing in the ACT.

What Is Flexible Respite?

Flexible respite involves a paid support worker coming to your home to provide help that allows you, the carer, to have a short break.

You can arrange flexible respite either during the day or overnight and can be provided in your home or in the community.

Examples of how you can use respite flexibly may include:

•  A support worker to accompany the person you care for on a medical appointment or social outing

•  Someone to assist in your home with domestic tasks such as cleaning, gardening or shopping

•  A support worker to assist with personal care for the person you care for eg, showering

•  Someone to stay with the person you care for so you can attend an appointment.


Am I Eligible?

To be eligible, either you or the person you care for, must be registered with My Aged Care and have been referred for Flexible Respite services.

Check your eligibility and apply.

The first step is to check your eligibility with a face-to-face assessment. You can call My Aged Care 1800 200 422 or you can apply online.

Once You Have Been Assessed

If you have been assessed and provided with a Referral Code for Flexible Respite Services, you can contact Carers ACT Aged Care Team on 6296 9922 or by email aged.services@carersact.org.au.

Cost Of Service

Carers are requested to contribute to the cost of services provided. We generally ask for a contribution of up to 15% of the cost of the service provided, depending on your ability to pay. We will not refuse service to you because you cannot afford to contribute.